To start a new Walkthrough, the principal must locate the teacher and click on the 'New…' button next to the teacher's name. This can be seen below.
Once the principal clicks 'New...' a new page will open allowing the principal to conduct a walkthrough for the selected teacher, as seen below.
The top of the form (as seen above) will include various fields that can be adjusted:
- Date: This is the date of the Walkthrough. The default value will be the date of when the principal started the Walkthrough, however they can adjust this by clicking on either the calendar icon (to change the day) or the clock icon (to change the time), and then click 'Save' at the bottom left of the form.
- Content Area: This allows the principal to select which content area (e.g.: Math, Science, Language Arts) to apply to the Walkthrough. To save this field, the principal must select a value and click 'Save' at the bottom left of the form.
- Grade Level: This allows the principal to select which grade level (e.g.: Pre-K, K, 1st Grade, etc.) to associate with the Walkthrough. To save this field, the principal must select a value and click 'Save' at the bottom left of the form.
The buttons at the bottom right of the form (as seen above) allow the principal to control what happens to the Walkthrough form:
- Save: To save the form at any time, simply click the 'Save' button in the bottom left. This saves the form and all contents that the principal has entered. This will also change the status of the Walkthrough to "In Process" and adjust the pie-chart located on the Walkthrough Dashboard.
- Delete: If the Walkthrough is NOT in the status "Complete" or "Submitted to Teacher", then the 'Delete' button will be enabled and the principal can click on it to delete the Walkthrough. This will remove the Walkthrough from the system.
- Submit to Teacher: After the principal has filled out their portion of the Walkthrough, they can allow the teacher to enter a Teacher Reflection, request feedback or further actions (e.g.: receive peer coaching, receive help to model a lesson in their classroom, etc.), or request to have a professional development session on a specific date. To submit the Walkthrough to the teacher, the principal can click the 'Submit to Teacher' button.
- After the teacher enters a reflection they can click 'Submit to Principal' to send the Walkthrough back to the principal so that the principal can set the walkthrough to "Complete". The principal will receive an email letting them know that the walkthrough has been submitted to them.
- Exit: The 'Exit' button allows the principal to exit the form and go back to the Walkthroughs page.
The principal can select different checkboxes to indicate that they observed those items during the walk through. The principal can simply click on the box to select it, as seen below. They can click on the box again to de-select it.
To add a custom checklist line item, the principal may enter the desired text into the input field at the bottom of the group of checkboxes. They can then click on the '+' button next to the input field to add the new checklist item. This is shown below in Figure 1 and Figure 2 below.
When the principal clicks 'Yes' in Figure 2, a new checkbox row will be added as shown below. The new row can be removed by the principal by clicking the the 'x' next to the new line item.
The principal can add as many additional checkbox rows as needed. They can also collapse the topics by clicking on the topic itself.
Before the walkthrough can be completed, the principal must click "Submit to Teacher", located in the lower right side of the form as shown below
Once the principal clicks the 'Submit to Teacher' button the walkthrough will go into the "Submitted to Teacher" status. The teacher will be able to enter their reflection comments and click 'Submit to Observer' to send the walkthrough back to the observer. Once the teacher does this, the observer can locate the walkthrough using the "Submitted to Observer" pie chart segment on the Walkthrough Dashboard.
When a principal sets a walkthrough to the "Submitted to Teacher" status, the teacher will receive an email that lets them know a walkthrough has been sent to them for review. When the teacher submits the walkthrough to the observer, the observer will receive an email notification as well.